Sunday, November 25, 2007

...and JEWEL PINNACLE!

Tonya took me! This is Tonya resting on the hike up.
And this is me. The approach involves crossing the Red River on foot -- and I don't mean by balancing on an enormous dead tree -- and then slogging up a soft, muddy, steep hillside covered in leaves. Tonya brought wading sandals, but I just soaked my sneaks right through. We were obviously too excited about the climbing to be upset by the lack of a trail. But it does surprise me that public parks would be so poorly taken care of when Muir Valley, which is private, has some of the best trails around. Hm.
This is us after our first ascent of Diamond in the Crack. I was too scared to lead at first, so Tonya had gotten the rope here for us.
...but after Tonya convinced me that it wasn't too difficult or scary (and we ate sammiches at the top, ogled the view & wrote in the log), I led the second pitch and then the first. It was terrific.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home